Top 5 Ayrshire Golf Facts
1. Ayrshire has hosted 37 Open Championships between Prestwick (24) , Turnberry (4) and Royal Troon (9).
2. Prestwick Golf Club is the birthplace of the Open which was held in 1860.
3. Dundonald Links is hosting the Scottish Open in 2017 - Dundonald Links, in North Ayrshire will host the Aberdeen Asset Management Scottish Open for the first time in 2017.
4. Rowallan Castle Golf Club was designed by Eight times European No 1 golfer and 2010 winning Ryder Cup Captain Colin Montgomerie.
5. Loudon Gowf Club - The first question usually asked about Loudoun Gowf Club is why "Gowf Club"? It would appear that the Gowf Field of Loudoun, so called as far back as records are available, was the private golf field of the Campbell family of Loudoun Castle, and had been in existence from the early sixteenth century. Golf or "Gowf" (the old Scottish word for golf) has been played on these fields for over 400 years. It is believed that this ground has never at any time been under the plough in all these years. One can therefore appreciate why the turf at Loudoun is unique and probably among the finest of any inland course.